Turmeric, a relative of Ginger, is a culinary spice found in Indian curries and is widely known for its anti-inflammatory properties due to its main active component, curcumin. This wonder drug contains over 1,000 naturally occurring phyto-compounds that can protect us against disease.
For hundreds of years, curcumin has been used in Chinese medicine and is now being recognized by Western medical practitioners. The following are some of the many benefits of turmeric and curcumin:
• Natural antiseptic & antibacterial agent useful in disinfecting cuts and burns
• Can prevent the development and inhibit the growth of many cancers including prostate, breast, lung and melanoma cancer
• Natural liver detoxifier
• Removes amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain which may prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease
• Potent natural anti-inflammatory without the side effects of Western anti-inflammatory drugs
• May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management
• Natural pain killer and cox-2 inhibitor
• Used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression
• Natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis (because of its anti-inflammatory properties)
• Has been shown to stop growth in new blood vessels in tumors
• Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling damaged skin
• May help in the treatment of psoriasis
Turmeric & Curcumin can be taken in pill or powder form in addition to being a tasty addition to many culinary dishes.